Saturday, November 7, 2015

BEGINNING OF NOVEMBER

Sunday night we were not sure if we would be going out but no such luck - no invite.  So we had pork chops and we heated up left over spaghetti with left over salad from Saturday night.  Nothing to go into more detail about.

Monday I made soup. I found the recipe in "Cooking from Quilt Country" by Marcia Adams.  It is a chicken corn soup.  You cook onions and celery in melted butter for about 3 minutes.  Stir in 6 tablespoons of flour and cook about 5-6 minutes but mine turned golden in much less time.  I added one can of chicken broth and whisked until smooth while slightly increasing the heat.  It then called for 3/4 C milk and 3/4 C half and half, a couple of tablespoons of shredded carrots, 1/4 tsp. grated nutmeg and black pepper.  I do not have any regular milk in the house only Almond Milk so I used that.  You cook everything for about 3 minutes and add 1 1/2 cups of shredded chicken.  I used 2 cans of shredded chicken breast from Costco.  You want the soup to stand long enough to hear up the chicken.  Once I ladled it into pasta bowls, I sprinkled a small amount of shredded cheddar cheese and floated 3 slices of 2 day old baguette.  It was really delicious.  I have included a picture of the finished product.



Tuesday and Wednesday we were out for dinner and Thursday we had pizza.  I had several crusts on hand - one in the refrigerator and one flat bread.  I used the flat bread crust mainly to get the big box it came in off the counter.  It has a sauce included and I added diced ham, black olives and mushrooms with an Italian blend of cheeses.  It only takes 10 minutes to cook and is so much better than delivery.  Most of the time I use Jimmy Dean precooked crumbled turkey sausage but I was out of that.

We are out for the next several nights.

No comments:

Post a Comment