Thursday, September 2, 2010

BLUE RIBBON GRANDSONS

I know that we all think that our grandchildren are blue ribbon quality. It just goes with the territory. During this summer, our grandson has been breeding and raising rabbits for a 4H project for the purpose of showing the rabbits at the local county fair. They have had 3 litters. The first 3 (there were 4) were too old. The next 3 (there were 6) were just right and the last 1 (there were 12) was too young, too sooty colored and only one. For the rabbits to be entered in the meat pen competition, there needed to be 3. The judging was going to take place between 4pm and 9pm. The temperature yesterday was 93. This was not something I was looking forward to but I actually managed to convince JR to go with me.


We left early and arrived there in time to say goodbye to the granddaughter on her way to kindergarten. We relaxed for a bit and then headed to the fair grounds getting lost on the way. We made a right and not a left and....oh well. The grandson was in the last group for the showmanship contest and we had plenty of time. His turn finally came and he was one of 11 in that group. Both he and the rabbit must have been nervous since the rabbit refused to turn over and that was an instrumental part of the showmanship area. You could see on his face the disappointment and irritation at the rabbit but we all know that gymnasts and other athletes after years of practice fall off balance beams, sprain ankles and well stuff happens. We were thinking that it was now time to have a little fair food and then head home. However the meat pen portion judging of the competition was yet to come.



For the meat pen judging, there were going to be two groups: 11 in the first group and 12 in the next group. Half of each group would be weeded out and then the two surviving halves would be brought together and the final judging would be with the final twelve. Our grandson was in the first group and lo and behold he made the cut. This time all three rabbits were judged and if you think corralling 3 rabbits on a narrow table as a 9 year old is easy then think again. He had to take the rabbits back to the cage while the second group was judged and then he came back out. It any of you have seen the Westminster Dog Show in February then you know that when the judge gets down to the final numbers they rearrange the dogs and handlers. This was the same principle. Our grandson was directed to the end of the long table and actually on the other side of the table. His back was to us and he was opposite another contestant. If you now think trying to keep 3 rabbits on half a table from bolting is easy you really don't know rabbits. The judge then inspected the rabbits again. By now it is dark (9pm) and we did not have the cameras and video cameras on. I assumed that they would announce the winners from 5Th place up as they had done in the showmanship contest. Suddenly the judge goes up to our grandson and says "This young man is the Grand Champion". Yes, he won the blue ribbon!!!! at the age of 9 and against older competitors. Some of these competitors were breeders. And this is a big deal. Instead of selling the rabbits on Saturday night, the rabbits will be sold in the Grand Champions Circle live auction on Monday afternoon. He won the blue ribbon, a banner and a camp chair with Grand Champion on it. This morning he was sitting in his chair in the family room watching TV. Needless to say, a great day and I was honored and delighted that I could be there and witness this. As I said in a text to him, I love him, not only today as a winner but every day.



1 comment:

  1. Sue, finally started reading your blogs. I guess I felt I wanted your permission which I now have. You are quite a writer. Have you ever thought of doing something with it, ie write a book? I find your blogs most interesting especially the one of Seth and the rabbits. Laurie

    ReplyDelete