Sunday, October 17, 2010

MISCELLANEOUS

It was a rather calm week. Not a lot going on. I threw out some clothes. Some were 20 years old. I had worn most of them recently but it was time to let go of them. On the weekends I have been reading two sections of the Wall Street Journal. The Review and the Off Duty sections. I have enjoyed them. Several articles were of interest this week. "What the Tea Partiers Really Want" was one such article. It basically said that instead of the "We just want to be free. Free to lead our lives as we please, so long as we do not infringe on the same freedom of others" that is usually thought of as their manifesto it is in reality something different. It is not liberty but karma. As quoted from the WSJ "Karma is not an exclusively Hindu idea. It combines the universal human desire that moral accounts should be balanced with a belief that, somehow or other, they will be balanced." I was trying to find one sentence that summed it up and it is in the second to last sentence of the article. "Above all, they want to live in a country in which hard work and personal responsibility pay off and laziness, cheating and irresponsibility bring people to ruin." I think that sums it up quite nicely. The author Alexander McCall Smith had a great article on overuse of adjectives and adverbs in writing. It was really interesting but I won't quote it here. The next week is bringing a few activities but I hope to continue cleaning the closet and for that matter the rest of the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment